Wednesday 14 March 2012

Blue Mason Jar

Yesterday I decided to tackle a project that I've been wanting to do but for some reason I thought it would be harder than it actually was so I kept putting it off. Pinterest provided me with a lot of inspiration and examples for diy-ing my own blue tinted mason jars, but the one I eventually went with was on the Craftberry Bush blog, here:

http://craftberrybush.blogspot.com/2011/03/mason-blue-glass-canning-jar-diy.html

So, since I already had an old mason jar laying around, and some modge-podge (and glue) all I needed to get was some blue food colouring.


While on the example she carefully measured out the amount of modge podge/glue and food colouring, I just eyed it. First I tried to use the method of pouring the modge podge and food colouring mixture into the jar and shaking it to cover all of the inside.


Unfortunately the modge podge seemed to be too thick or something so it didn't drip out easily and too much stuck to the surface. So I washed it out and started again, this time using a the mixture of glue and food colouring to paint on the outside of the jar. It turned out pretty streaky, but since on the directions she said it would dry I let it sit. And what do you know, it did!


I think it turned out pretty well, but since it isn't a permanent way to tint the jar blue maybe next time I'll try another way with special glass paint.

This post was linked on the Pinterest Challenge on Young House Love, check it out here

No comments:

Post a Comment