Tuesday 6 March 2012

Chalkboard Paint Mugs

Here's another Pinterest project - diy chalkboard paint mugs. I saw this project in a couple of different variations so I tried two myself and one worked out well.

First, the supplies.
I found the mugs at the dollar store, of course $1 each. It made it easier not to worry about making a mistake when they were only a buck.
The chalkboard paint was $10 at Michaels, but I used a 40% off coupon so it came to about $6. The painter's tape and paintbrush I already had.

The first way I tried was just to make a strip of chalkboard paint in the middle of the mug. The second way was to paint the bottom half of the mug with chalkboard paint.


I did two coats on each mug, then immediately pulled the tape off. The strip around the middle of the mug turned out while the other mug didn't, probably because the tape wasn't stuck around it well. So I'm only going to show the one that did.


Then I used the chalk I also got at the dollar store and presto, the chalkboard paint works! I'm guessing that the chalkboard paint isn't dishwasher safe, but as I don't have a dishwasher myself it doesn't really matter to me. I will have to see how it goes when I wash the mug in the sink though.


I linked this post to The Tuesday Talent Show at Chef in Training

No comments:

Post a Comment